Sunday, July 8, 2012

New York Mills Parade...Lesson learned!


Friday I was scheduled to be involved in the New York Mills Parade. I'll be completely honest, parades can sometimes be a challenge. Appearances that allow personal interactions with individuals often are my highlights. As I drove to New York Mills, just a short 15 minute drive from my home, I was already beginning to think about my plans after the parade. However, little did I know I was in for a little lesson.

After finding the Perham Express train in the chaos of parade line-up, I snatched parking spot and walked a couple blocks (in four inch heels) to greet my drivers. While waiting for the parade to start I visited with KLN float volunteers, received some licorice, and visited with fellow friends.

Time flew and before I new it the whistle blew!..and we where off in the streets of NYM. The one characteristic about parades that always stick out to me is the overwhelming amount of people involved. As I strolled the streets waving I saw many faces. Some of these faces were brightened by a smile, filled with fatigue, exemplified shy and nervous twitches, and some where faded with sadness. Each and every person I saw where at the parade for a different reason coming from a vast variety of circumstances. I saw single Mother's holding their children, elderly couples isolated in front of their homes, children who were wandering with no guardian, adults participating in destructive behavior, woman who were wearing head wraps because cancer had rid them from their hair.

It can become so easy to be consumed by our selfish desires, own worries, own struggles, and own plans that we miss the hurt, joy, and lives that surround us.When I was in NYM on Friday I all most missed it. Going to a parade seems so uneventful in learning a life lesson, but I hope I never miss the opportunities I have to brighten a person's day, even if that does mean waving in a parade.

Many blessings,
Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment