Thursday, June 28, 2012

Be Your Own Superhero. SADD National Conference in LA, CA!










I am honored and pleased to say I just completed my year of service on the Student Leadership Council for SADD National. If any of you are new to the idea of SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions), I'll fill you in. SADD was founded 31 years ago in a high school after two hockey players had been killed by a decision that could have been made differently. A small chapter arose from the school and today there are 10,000 SADD Chapters across the United States.

I began working closely with SADD about three years ago. Through my high school SADD advisor I heard about Northern Lights SADD, a tri-state region of students who were dedicated to constructive decision making. I was elected to the Northern Lights Advisory Board, a student board for NL SADD. Here I met incredible individuals who supported, encouraged, and gave me opportunities to share about my platform, "It's No Joke, Say NO to Smoke," but more importantly loved me for my morals, values, and as a powerful member of society. Through NL SADD I discovered Jamestown College, where I now attend school, the wonderful people of North Dakota, and SADD National. After being encouraged by Lee Erickson to apply for the National Student Leadership Council I applied. Two months later I was named to the council by the SADD National Office.

Throughout this year I have traveled to Chicago, New York, and L.A. to plan conferences, projects, and give valuable insight to powerful individuals in legal offices, board positions, organizations, and national staff. I have appreciated every moment. I have had the opportunity to travel places I have never been, meet new people, and share my passions with youth alike.

I had a wonderful time in L.A. visiting the Santa Monica Pier, Disneyland, and planning conference. However, my highlight of the trip was to hear the stories of our keynote speakers. The trials they have overcome inspire me to appreciate the "little" moments in life that may not always seem significant. These speakers also challenged me to thank and cherish my loved ones. It's easy to forget that sometimes and it never should be.

These last few weeks in June have left my spirit overflowing with appreciation, joy, and inspiration to continue making a difference in the lives of people who surround me. Each and every day I am eager to see what experiences await me. My prayer is that my eyes will see, my ears will hear, and my thoughts will be attentive to the moments that define my life and yours.

Much love and blessings,
Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment